Monday, September 27, 2010

Why learning about cool people with brain tumors makes me feel so much better about mine ...

I took a vacation.

A VACATION!!!!!!

Although I have traveled quite a bit in recent years (on business, to see my long distance boyfriend(s), to visit friends, etc.), I haven't had a proper vacation since 2004.

I really needed this vacation. Five days on sea and in Mexico. It was glorious. I mean, it was a really, really good time.

I went with my friend Emily.



I laid out on the beach and didn't want to leave.


I drank copious amounts of booze.




I sweated. A lot.



We got sunburned.



I watched my worries float away. At least for a moment.



It was over way too quickly.

I used all my vacation time, which in hindsight is probably stupid considering I will have to take unpaid leave after surgery. But I don't care. I needed this vacation - it very well could be my last.

I know, I know ... that's so macabre.

Whatever.

But vacation isn't the subject of today's blog.

Last night, whilst surfing the Internets, I came across something that turned my frown upside down. That's such a grandma phrase and really, I wasn't frowning at all.

One of my favorite actors, and definitely one I crush on from time to time, also had an acoustic neuroma. Get ready for it ...

SEXY ASS MARK RUFFOLO had surgery for his AN back in 2002 and suffered serious facial paralysis. Which he later overcame 99% of it.


I think you can sorta see the bottom left of his lip is still a little dangly and super cute. If I have sexy, cute, adorable, hangy paralysis lip like Mark Ruffolo after my surgery I will be chuffed.

Chuffed = British slang for pleased, satisfied, etc.

Is it just me, or is Mark Ruffolo the cutest actor on the planet?

Upon researching Mark and his tumor, I found this guy:

Adorable, Hilarious, Funny Tumor Guy Who Wanted To Call Mark Ruffalo

I might write to this guy. His tumor is different than mine, but nevertheless, he seems funny.

Hey, it just struck me that humor rhymes with tumor. I should write a rap. I will write a rap. A humorous tumorous rap.

My surgery consult is on November 1. They (not really sure how to define who "they" is) say that surgery is scheduled VERY soon after your surgery consult, so I'm thinking that my surg will be in early November. There is so much to get done.

1. Finish my living will. (This is very sad for me - and I will surely blog about it.)
2. Clean my office and write several schedules and to do lists for while I am recovering, or in case I die. (This is a huge project.)
3. De-hoard. Meaning, clean and organize my whole house so I can recover comfortably.
4. Figure out how I am going to live financially during recovery. I might have to hook this month in order to build up a nest egg so my son can eat and I can have cable and Internets - oh, and a roof over our heads.
5. Write letters and journal for my little boy. In case I die.
6. Seek therapy for this little issue I am having regarding death.
7. Love on my son as much as possible.
8. Get a bitchin' haircut that will include shaving the left side of my head in a fashionable manner.
9. Call all my creditors, utilities, etc., to see if I can get extensions and forgiveness on bills I will owe during recovery time.
10. Have copious amounts of sex. Just kidding. Although I wish I weren't.

That's all for now.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe Mark Buffalo also suffered from AN. What a strange coincidence. I just like saying Mark Buffalo a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particullarly loved the parts of the vacation that included Joey unknowingly responding to a British accent with her own 'British accent' and when we got pulled over on the last leg of the trip by an Andy Griffith character who chatted her up and didn't even write her a warning for 51mph in a 35mph. Thinking back I think the officer would have gotten written up for letting her off with a warning for 16mph over the speed limit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog! I'm a new follower. I'm so happy you had a great vacation. It's so nice to relax and leave your worries behind. I know you will BEAT your brain tumor and your new hair cut will be fabulous! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even realize you are from my home town :) Born and raised in Oklahoma...it's a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ryan Kay! Thanks for following my blog. It's nice to meet you. Do you get back to Oklahoma a lot? Did you grow up in Tulsa?

    ReplyDelete